“In order to be good at golf you have to play golf. Our junior instruction classes have one major purpose, to get the new golfer on the course, having fun, and moving around with all the other golfers.”
PGA JUNIOR LEAGUE
New programing for 2023. This junior program is available to boys and girls ready for competitive golf, ages 9 to 13, may not be 14 before August 1, 2023. PGA Junior League will emphasize “learning to play” and “playing to improve” for golfers to further develop their athletic movement skills, improve strength and power, increase flexibility and speed. This league will be conducted by the Golf Professional Staff with assistance from the golf service staff.
- The class will provide challenging practice habits to improve athletic performance, proper body and club movement, and consistent solid ball contact. Assessment of the golfers’ current abilities will help provide a pathway for improvement.
- Matches will be played against other local area teams as well as some in-house matches. Teams will have 12-14 players each and will be established by; (1) Ability, (2) Personal Preference, (3) Team Scores, (4) Professional Staff Decisions.
- Each team is broken down into two-person pairs (or three if a substitute is included) who play together in games. PGA Junior League utilizes match play scoring, which focuses on performance vs. a score-to-par as is traditional with golf. Within a PGA Junior League game, pairs play in a head-to-head, 9-hole match. Each match is broken into three flags. Each flag is three holes in a row, and each team has the opportunity to earn points at the end of each flag.
- All PGA Junior League games are played in a two-person scramble format. This means that both players in a pair hit drives. The best shot is selected, then each player plays from the selected spot, and this process continues until the ball is holed. The scramble format is key in allowing everyone to hit shots and contribute to the team.
Entry deadline is Tuesday April 18 at noon, sign up is limited. The program fee is $375 per player. A sign-up link is available on the White Hawk website page “Golf Course/Junior”, this is a National PGA Junior League 13U sign up link. (Fee includes group instruction, course play, and Junior League Package of: two custom jerseys plus other fun team kit items.)
- The first practices will be assessing athletic ability, full swing technique, and the areas of Driving, Chipping, and Putting.
- Matches will be scheduled in June and July. For 2023 matches, our league will be in the Chesterton 2 Local Region, playing matches against teams from Youche CC, Briar Ridge CC, and Innsbrook CC. Matches will be schedule based on number of players at each club and golf course availability. Teams for the matches will be decided by weekly qualifiers held on the Saturday previous to the week. Starting times begin at 2:00 pm, pairings made by the golf shop, 2-person scramble format. Some teams will play match against another club, some will play against another White Hawk team.
Current 2023 Schedule:
- April 22 (Saturday): General overview of Junior League, physical movement assessment. Class is 2:00 pm to 3-3:30 pm.
- April 29 (Saturday): Swing review, equipment review. Golfers divided into two groups, 2:00 pm or 3:30 pm start.
- May 6 (Saturday): Putting practice and assessment. Golfers divided into two groups, 2:00 pm or 3:30 pm start.
- May 13 (Saturday): Short Game practice and assessment. Golfers divided into two groups, 2:00 pm or 3:30 pm start.
- May 20 (Saturday): Full Swing practice and assessment. Golfers divided into two groups, 2:00 pm or 3:30 pm start.
- June 3 (Saturday): Qualifying round for next week matches using scramble format. Starting times will begin at 2:00 pm.
- June 5 (Monday): Beginning of match schedule, dates and times to be determined. Matches conclude at the end of July.
- July 23 (Sunday): Final party and fun Putt-Putt activity with parents.
- All-Star finals are scheduled for August 12-13, 2023 in Indianapolis.
SIGN UP LINK WILL BE READY BY FEBRUARY 20
Newer golfers (no bad habits!) are invited to start their golfing career with us. These beginner classes will be an introduction to golf with an emphasis on general swing motion, solid ball contact, and learning to play the game safely. We will use “Fundamentals” and “Learn to Play” for the young athlete to develop agility, balance, coordination, and speed. This class will be conducted by the Assistant Professional Staff with assistance from the golf service staff.
- A five-day session, with each class lasting 60-90 minutes, scheduled throughout the season for boys and girls age 9 to 13, sign up is limited. Each session will have similar teaching content, schedule listed below.
- Cost is $195 per session and advanced sign up is required.
Your career has started, but wait, now it’s time to play! Our golf software program will track players scores and statistics for 4 weeks, we are hoping for 2 rounds per week arranged by the golfer/parent. All golfers will start at our 50-yard tee markers trying to shoot a score of 36 for 9 holes. This may take one week; it may take many weeks. Once you are successful at 50 yards, the golfer will move back to the 100-yard tees with the same goal of shooting 36 for 9 holes. The challenge continues with course set-up at 150 yards, #1 Shortie, and #2 Shortie. A special scorecard will be handed out before the golfer starts and turned into the golf shop after their round. The scorecard will monitor their strengths or weaknesses, and help direct their improvement. When playing “Junior Hawk 9”, the golf fee for the junior is $10 walking, adult cart rental if needed is $10 (starting time restrictions may apply).
Session #1 – Age 9 to 13, entry deadline is Wednesday May 3rd at noon.
May 8: Monday (Full Swing) 5:15 to 6:45 pm
May 9: Tuesday (Short Game) 5:15 to 6:45 pm
May 10: Wednesday (Putting) 5:15 to 6:45 pm
May 11: Thursday (Play) 4:30 to 6:30 pm*
May 12: Friday (Review & Wrap) 5:15 to 6:45 pm
June 11: Sunday (Follow-Up) 2:00 pm
Session #2 – Age 9 to 13, entry deadline is Wednesday June 14th at noon.
June 19: Monday (Full Swing) 9:00 to 10:30 am
June 20: Tuesday (Short Game) 9:00 to 10:30 am
June 21: Wednesday (Putting) 9:00 to 10:30 am
June 22: Thursday (Play) 9:00 to 11:00 am*
June 23: Friday (Review & Wrap) 9:00 to 10:30 am
July 23: Sunday (Follow-Up) 2:00 pm
Session #3 – Age 9 to 13, entry deadline is Wednesday August 2nd at noon.
August 7: Monday (Full Swing) 9:00 to 10:30 am
August 8: Tuesday (Short Game) 9:00 to 10:30 am
August 9: Wednesday (Putting) 9:00 to 10:30 am
August 10: Thursday (Play) 9:00 to 11:00 am*
August 11: Friday (Review & Wrap) 9:00 to 10:30 am
September 10: Sunday (Follow-Up) 2:00 pm
SIGN UP LINK WILL BE READY ON MARCH 1
Let’s play golf! Three-day sessions with each class lasting 45 minutes, will be scheduled throughout the season for boys and girls ages 5 to 8.
These beginner classes will focus on making a challenging game easier. Tips for parents to help their young golfer, general athletic movement, fun games to help learn golf, course safety, and playing modifications to help get started.
This class will be conducted by the Assistant Professional Staff with assistance from the golf service staff. Each session will have similar teaching content and the cost is $75 per session with advanced sign up required.
When playing “Junior Tot’s 9”, the golf fee for the junior is $10 walking, adult cart rental if needed is $10. Single digit age playing with a paying adult, junior is at no charge, restrictions may apply.
Current 2023 Schedule
Session #1: June 6-7-8 at 10:00 am
Session #2: July 11-12-13 at 10:00 am
Session #3: August 22-23-24 at 5:15 pm
SIGN UP LINK WILL BE READY ON APRIL 1
Junior Golf Rates
18 Holes Junior…………...………………….……………………………………………$25.00
9 Holes Junior……………...……………….……………………………………...…..…$17.00
- High School age and younger, walking
- Junior rates are good anytime weekday and after 1:00 pm on weekends.
- Cart rate for 9-Holes is $3, for 18-Holes $5. Must have driver’s license, driver’s permit is not acceptable.
Other Junior Options
First Tee of Lake County: Learn First Tee Core Values and Healthy Habits, swing fundamentals, and productive practice habits. Program options are listed on the The First Tee of Lake County/Hammond website.
Indiana Golf Association: This nationally renowned golf program fills up fast, don’t wait until spring.
NIJGA: Northwest Indiana Regional junior golf program, also very popular and fills up fast.
Drive, Chip, and Putt: A national competition that test skills of golfers in different age groups 7 to 15. Regional qualifiers will compete in National Championship held at Augusta National Golf Club in Augusta, Georgia.
- Paul Blockoms | Teaching Pro | Email Junior Instruction - $30 for 30 minutes
- Zach Von Huben | Assistant Pro | Email Junior Instruction - $30 for 40 minutes
- Stephanie Drake | Assistant Pro | Email Junior Instruction - $30 for 40 minutes
- Duane Borcherding | PGA Pro | Email Junior Instruction - $30 for 40 minutes
**Instruction typically begins in mid-April when the practice facility opens.